In 2019, New York drivers experienced high rates of depression, stress and anxiety, resulting in an epidemic of suicides among for-hire vehicle drivers across the city. In response, the Independent Drivers Guild launched our new Mental Health and Wellness Program for NYC’s for-hire vehicle drivers with support from The Black Car Fund. This innovative program seeks to destigmatize mental health care and takes a holistic approach to wellness, providing free counseling, case management services, and classes to address and prevent crisis situations.
Since founding the Mental Health and Wellness Program, IDG has worked to expand support to drivers in other states as well as other benefits and multilingual services.
Current offerings include (may vary by state)
- Weekly driver discussion circles
- FREE individual, couple, and family counseling
- Assessment and referral to other social services
- Help accessing free benefits and services, including Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and rental assistance
- Free training on applying for the affordable housing lottery, financial planning, and de-escalation training
NOTE: The IDG Mental Health and Wellness Program is not an emergency service. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call 911 for immediate assistance.